Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Starbucks Brand Loyalist? Yes. Aficionado? Not So Much.



From a branding perspective, I adore Starbucks. I wouldn't say I adore them because of the coffee (Peets still out-brews the little mermaid any old day) but from a marketing standpoint, I get (and go) where Starbucks directs me to go as a consumer. 

* Side Note: If you haven't had a chance to pick up and read "Onward: How Starbucks Fought For Its Life Without Losing Its Soul" as of yet, I would recommend the read. Written by CEO Howard Shultz it details how Starbucks took a nose dive upon his departure from the company and how he came back to refocus the brand to its core values. 

Anyway, like I said, even though the coffee is...well Starbucks, meaning its often over-brewed and burnt-tasting, I have found myself connected to the brand more frequently in recent years. Primarily so because of the success they have had at creating an "environment" for their consumers. Quite frankly, all consumers look at Starbucks pretty much the way I do...which is to say that their attraction has very little to do with the coffee and much more to do about the environment Starbucks has created. Starbucks has become the "home office" the "lobby", the "den" and the "library" for targets of all ages and demographics. From the couches and music to the ambient lighting and wireless connections....Starbucks, and the convenience of their many locations on practically every second or third block, have become our mobile, social and work hubs. We navigate our travel plans, city visits and vacations with the same statement every morning "I gotta find a Starbucks."  (Thank you Starbucks iPhone App and Yelp!)

So earlier this year, the Irvine location was the very first in Orange County to become an official "Clover" Starbucks. For those of you not familiar with this new offering from the lady with the sea shells on her boobs, the Clover brewing system is a machine which controls brew time and temperature digitally, as according to Starbucks, even small changes in each can dramatically affect the outcome you taste in your cup. A thermal blanket surrounds the brew chamber to keep water within 1 degree of the ideal temperature. After the coffee brews, it is pulled through a 70-micron filter. The resulting grounds are pushed out of the top of the machine and the coffee alone flows into your cup.

What does this all mean? It means I waited 10 minutes, paid almost a dollar more and when all was said and done, I had a $3 hot cup of.....well.....coffee. Tasted like coffee. Looked like coffee. Smelled like coffee, abeit Starbucks coffee and I struggled to find any difference.  

Which brings me to my point, that while Starbucks has reinvigorated their brand and solidified their standing as the definition of coffee...(are you someone who says "Lets go grab a coffee" in the morning or do you say "Lets go grab a Starbucks"?) there is a very fine line between expanding your product portfolio and creating fragmentation in your brand. I can see paying $3 dollars for one of their blended iced, super-nonfat, half calf, dolce con leche, cinnamon swirl venti mocha lattes. That is understandable and by the way, comes with a distinct difference in flavor and experience. I do not however, agree with paying $2.15 for a venti coffee....or being persuaded to pay $3.10 for a ......well......super high-tech coffee. 

However all that being said, therein lies the secret to Starbucks marketing. After all the things I just typed....I went exactly where they marketed me to go. They persuaded me to trial. 

Damn you Starbucks brand marketers.

I'd be curious to hear feedback on whether you have tried the Clover style. You can email me at paul23schmidt@gmail.com

P

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Marketing has great power over most people. Look at McDonalds! The worst hamburgers ever created yet the most successful!

    Why? Brand Marketing

    Nice blog paul. I like it!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete